tixFileEntry - Create and manipulate tixFileEntry widgets
tixFileEntry pathName ?options?
The TixFileEntry class is derived from the TixLabelWidget class and inherits all the commands, options and subwidgets of its super-class.
The FileEntry widget supports all the standard options of a frame widget. See the options manual entry for details on the standard options.
- Command-Line Name: -activatecmd
- Database Name: activateCmd
- Database Class: ActivateCmd
- Specifies the command to be called when the user activates the button subwidget. This command is called before the file dialog is popped up and can be used to customize the file dialog (which may be shared by several FileEnt widget).
- Command-Line Name: -command
- Database Name: command
- Database Class: Command
- Specifies the command to be called when the -value option of the FileEntry is changed. This usually happens when the user inputs a filename into the entry subwidget and hits the <Return> key. The command will be called with one arguments -- the new value of the FileEntry widget.
- Command-Line Name: -dialogtype
- Database Name: dialogType
- Database Class: DialogType
- Specifies which type of file selection dialog should be popped up when the user invokes the button subwidget. Current only two values are valid: tixFileSelectDialog or tixExFileSelectDialog.
- Command-Line Name: -disablecallback
- Database Name: disableCallback
- Database Class: DisableCallback
- A boolean value indicating whether callbacks should be disabled. When set to true, the TCL command specified by the -command option is not executed when the -value of the FileEntry widget changes.
- Command-Line Name: -disableforeground
- Database Name: disableForeground
- Database Class: DisableForeground
- The foreground color to use for of the entry subwidget when the FileEntry widget is disabled.
- Command-Line Name: -filebitmap
- Database Name: fileBitmap
- Database Class: FileBitmap
- Specifies the bitmap to display in side the button subwidget.
- Command-Line Name: -label
- Database Name: label
- Database Class: Label
- Specifies the string to display as the label of this FileEntry widget.
- Command-Line Name: -labelside
- Database Name: labelSide
- Database Class: LabelSide
- Specifies where the label should be displayed relative to the entry subwidget. Valid options are: top, left, right, bottom, none or acrosstop.
- Command-Line Name: -selectmode
- Database Name: selectMode
- Database Class: SelectMode
- Specifies how the FileEntry widget should react to <KeyPress> events. When set to "immediate", any user keyboard inputs will immediately change the -value option. When set to "normal", the user keyboard inputs will be copied to the -value option only if the <Return> key is pressed or the keyboard focus is changed. The use of the immediate mode is discouraged. For effective use of the FileEntry widget, one should use the normal mode together with the update widget command (see below).
- Command-Line Name: -state
- Database Name: state
- Database Class: State
- Specifies the whether the FileEntry widget is normal or disabled. Only the values "normal" and "disabled" are recognized.
- Command-Line Name: -validatecmd
- Database Name: validateCmd
- Database Class: ValidateCmd
- Specifies a TCL command to be called when the -value of the FileEntry widget is about to change. This command is called with one parameter -- the new -value entered by the user. This command is to validate this new value by returning a value it deems valid.
- Command-Line Name: -value
- Database Name: value
- Database Class: Value
- Specifies the value of the FileEntry.
- Command-Line Name: -variable
- Database Name: variable
- Database Class: Variable
- Specifies the global variable in which the value of the FileEntry should be stored. The value of the FileEntry will be automatically updated when this variable is changed.
- The button subwidget next to the entry subwidget.
- The entry subwidget in which the user can type in a filename.
The tixFileEntry command creates a new window (given by the pathName argument) and makes it into a FileEntry widget. Additional options, described above, may be specified on the command line or in the option database to configure aspects of the FileEntry such as its cursor and relief.
The FileEntry widget can be used to input a filename. The user can type in the filename manually. Alternatively, the user can press the button widget that sits next to the entry, which will bring up a file selection dialog of the type specified by the -dialogtype option.
The tixFileEntry command creates a new Tcl command whose name is the same as the path name of the FileEntry's window. This command may be used to invoke various operations on the widget. It has the following general form:
PathName is the name of the command, which is the same as the FileEntry widget's path name. Option and the args determine the exact behavior of the command. The following commands are possible for FileEntry widgets:
- pathName option ?arg arg ...?
- pathName cget option
- Returns the current value of the configuration option given by option. Option may have any of the values accepted by the tixFileEntry command.
- pathName configure ?option? ?value option value ...?
- Query or modify the configuration options of the widget. If no option is specified, returns a list describing all of the available options for pathName (see Tk_ConfigureInfo for information on the format of this list). If option is specified with no value, then the command returns a list describing the one named option (this list will be identical to the corresponding sublist of the value returned if no option is specified). If one or more option-value pairs are specified, then the command modifies the given widget option(s) to have the given value(s); in this case the command returns an empty string. Option may have any of the values accepted by the tixFileEntry command.
- pathName invoke
- Forces the FileEntry widget to act as if the user has pressed the <return> key inside the entry subwidget.
- pathName filedialog ?args?
- When no additional arguments are given, this command returns the pathname of the file dialog box associated with this FileEnt widget. When additional arguments are given, the widget command of the file dialog will be called with these arguments.
- pathName subwidget name ?args?
- When no options are given, this command returns the pathname of the subwidget of the specified name. When options are given, the widget command of the specified subwidget will be called with these options.
- pathName update
- If the user has modified the entry using keyboard inputs, the update command will update the -value of this FileEntry widget. When the FileEntry widget's -selectmode option is set to "normal", one should call the update command on this widget before examining its -value option. This command has no effect in if the -selectmode option is set to "immediate".
file entry, widget
Copyright © 1993-1999 Ioi Kim Lam. Copyright © 2000-2001 Tix Project Group. Copyright © 1995-1997 Roger E. Critchlow Jr.